So you think you know the origins of Saint Nicholas and
Christmas!? The difference between O'Hanlon & Hertha? Nast
& Knickerbocker? Bari & Befana? Try this Trivia Quiz to see how many questions you
Instructions: Read the question, click
on the answers and then on "Display Score" to see how you did.
If you need help or you want to see the correct answer, click on "Show
Answers". Click on "Play Again" to start a new Quiz. Quizzes
are never the same so you can play as many times as you like!
1. When was the poem "A Visit from St. Nicholas" written?
The poem was written in 1823 but the other dates are significant too. In 1931, Coca Cola commissioned Haddon Sundblom to paint Santa ads; in 1644, English Parliament banned Christmas; and, in 1545, Martin Luther banned Santa.
2. The Christmas carol Silent Night was first played onů
Austrian priest Josef Mohr, who penned the lyrics to "Stille Nacht", asked Franz Gruber to compose the guitar accompaniment when the church organ wouldn't work for his Christmas Eve service in 1818.
3. Which of the following did not contribute to the idea of Saint Nick as a gift-giver?
Martin Luther actually outlawed Saint Nicholas!
4. On September 21, 1897, the New York Sun wrote its famous reply to a young girl's question about the existence of Santa Claus. What was the little girl's name?
Yes, Virginia (O'Hanlon), there is a Santa Claus! Although over 100 years old, the article by Francis Pharcellus Church is still one of the best arguments for Santa.
5. From his illustrations for Coca-Cola, which of the following is the only characteristic of the modern Santa Claus Haddon Sundblom is generally credited with?
Although the image of Santa painted by Sundblom was already in place, he certainly cemented that image in everyone's mind.
~ Click on "Play Again" for new questions or try these other Trivia
Kidlets Trivia (easy) ::
Christmas Shows, Songs &
Stories Trivia (medium)
Your browser does not have scripting enabled.Please use the
to visit other pages at EmailSanta.